Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Canada's Special Forces receive Presidential Unit Citation 

Triggerhappy604

Recruit

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 19:01 Profile

Quote:

Canadian special forces unit cited for heroism
Bush awards Presidential Unit Citation for elite troop's work in Afghanistan
By STEPHEN THORNE Canadian Press with a report from Andrew Davidson Wednesday, December 8, 2004

OTTAWA -- Canada's special operations military unit, Joint Task Force 2, has been awarded the U.S. Presidential Unit Citation for heroism in battle in Afghanistan, but Canadians will not be able to hear any details of the elite unit's actions. U.S. President George W. Bush made the presentation in California yesterday to the American commander of Joint Special Operations Task Force South, a multinational force in Afghanistan of which JTF-2 was a part from October of 2001 to April of 2002. Steven Jurgutis, press secretary for Defence Minister Bill Graham, confirmed that members of JTF-2 were present for the private ceremony, which he described as "low-key," but he could not reveal the number of soldiers in attendance or any information about the actions being honoured.

"It's one of these tricky situations where it is important to recognize and honour the good work they've done, but the nature of their work, it's not exactly something you can talk about," he said.

"You've got the same sort of situation for U.S. and other forces involved in these operations."

The ceremony was not attended by members of the media. It is only the second Canadian military unit to receive the honour.

The citation, first awarded after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, is given to units of the United States and allied nations "for extraordinary heroism in actions against an armed enemy."

"The unit must display such gallantry, determination and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions as to set it apart and above other units participating in the same campaign."

The only other Canadian unit to receive the citation is the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, for actions at the 1951 Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War.

While the operations of JTF-2's exploits in Afghanistan went largely unnoticed by their countrymen, their U.S. counterparts took journalists into combat operations for days on end. Officials say that's because the U.S. Special Forces number in the tens of thousands, while Canada's contingent is believed to be fewer than 1,000, and members could be targeted by terrorists.

In a recruiting video released in May, 2003, the deputy chief of defence staff, Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison, described in cryptic terms JTF-2's involvement in Afghan operations.

"In numerous challenging missions against Taliban and al-Qaeda targets, they captured enemy personnel, equipment, and material of significant intelligence value and hampered the enemy's ability to conduct operations against us and our coalition partners," he said.

The unit became the centre of attention for a few days in 2002 after a photograph emerged showing JTF-2 soldiers bringing in enemy prisoners to a holding facility at Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.

It was the first evidence that Canadians had taken prisoners during the conflict, coming at the peak of debate over the fate of al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters captured by the Americans.

In the fall, 2001, budget, the federal government announced a five-year, $118.5-million special forces expansion project.

JTF-2 PICTURE FROM AFGHANISTAN
Embedded Image

McMuffin

Private First Class

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 21:01 Profile

Holy [TOS Violation]! We have special forces! Shocked No, seriously.. I didn't really know that. Neutral

Pvt.Riley Finn

Private First Class

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 21:28 Profile

McMuffin wrote:

Holy [TOS Violation]! We have special forces! Shocked No, seriously.. I didn't really know that. Neutral

Only one of the best in the world.

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 22:02 Profile

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

Special pockets on their boots. For what ? I'm not sure yet...

They look fully loaded and it's the end of the mission. It went well ! :-)

We need a bigger pic, but how can we know by looking at this that these are canadians guys ? The cammo ?

Varius

the_eleMent

Sergeant First Class

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 22:19 Profile

We have a very well trained army, just not a very big one...

SirHaroldII

Recruit

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 22:35 Profile

good job canada...

Triggerhappy604

Recruit

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 23:00 Profile

varius wrote:

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

We need a bigger pic, but how can we know by looking at this that these are canadians guys ? The cammo ?

Varius

i got the pic from here
http://media.militaryphotos.ne..._Canada

here it is but wider view
Embedded Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more photos from here http://www.militaryphotos.net/...start=0

Embedded Image

Embedded Image
Embedded Image
Embedded Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JTF-2 in Hati

Embedded Image
Embedded Image
Embedded Image
Embedded Image

Pvt.Riley Finn

Private First Class

Posted: 08 Dec 2004 23:03 Profile

varius wrote:

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

Varius

Yes the camo, by the gear, weaponry, and the helmet is shaped to accompany the headphones.

Sgt. Talbot

Private First Class

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 00:26 Profile

Sweet. Hooah to the JTF-2! Cool

*salute*

JimmiJames

Recruit

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 00:26 Profile

[quote="Pvt.Riley Finn"][quote="varius"][quote="Triggerhappy604"]
[img]http://forum.thefinalstand.com/uploads//post-3-1102549552.jpg[/img][/quote]

Varius[/quote]

Yes the camo, by the gear, weaponry, and the helmet is shaped to accompany the headphones.[/quote]

Holy crapola they look spiffy!!

Canada needs to invest into more special forces Cool ...not diesel piece o'crap sinking rotten ugly [TOS Violation] british submarines. Evil or Very Mad

How come JTF-2 have humvees while the regular army have piece of doodoo jeeps smaller then a toyota echo????

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 08:46 Profile

Pvt.Riley Finn wrote:

varius wrote:

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

Varius

Yes the camo, by the gear, weaponry, and the helmet is shaped to accompany the headphones.

The headphones looks like some sennheiser! So where's the mp3 player ? Neutral

Varius

lunt

Recruit

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 11:34 Profile

varius wrote:

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

We need a bigger pic, but how can we know by looking at this that these are canadians guys ?
Varius

with the way this country is headed, 5 bucks says the guys in the togas are from Toronto or Montreal...

Pvt.Riley Finn

Private First Class

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 15:28 Profile

JimmiJames wrote:

Pvt.Riley Finn wrote:

varius wrote:

Triggerhappy604 wrote:

Embedded Image

Varius

Holy crapola they look spiffy!!

Canada needs to invest into more special forces Cool ...not diesel piece o'crap sinking rotten ugly [TOS Violation] british submarines. Evil or Very Mad

How come JTF-2 have humvees while the regular army have piece of doodoo jeeps smaller then a toyota echo????

Because the JTF-2's are a Counter-Terrorist unit, and are supposed to be highly "secrative". The JTF-2's have much more important jobs than the regular military does.

varius

Sergeant

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 17:36 Profile

Secret forces like that, that were unknown formally, even if everyone knew informally, makes me say that whatever the government is saying to the population they always have that card of doing what they want in perfect (almost) secrecy.

This automatically discredit whatever the governement is saying about what our military is doing, in a way. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that these forces had training with US forces and that some of our officers are already in Iraq as guest of the US army. So they work together and are able to communicate correctly if necessery. So we can think that no one will ever know if a Canadian in trouble in Iraq is taken out by the JTF-2 (with US knowledge). Not that I really want to know. So I prefer to take with a grain of salt whatever the governement is trying to make me believe. I wonder how many times our ministers of defense said we had no secret special military forces before this pic...

Still, what are they putting in those big boot pockets ??? They don't look nice, so they must serve a sepcific purpose! :-) They look too big for pistols and too evasive for knives...Maybe it's just for ammo.

Varius

Mighty_Mike

Recruit

Posted: 09 Dec 2004 23:06 Profile

I'd hate to put anything heavy in a boot pocket. Wouldn't that making running more difficult?

Canada's Special Forces receive Presidential Unit Citation 

Page 1 of 2        Next Page »  

Jump to: